Friday, November 7, 2008

He slept like a....... baby?

I don't quite understand the concept of "sleeping like a baby" because if that is the case then last night was the first time that my baby actually slept like one.

Last night as I was getting Brady ready for bed I thought to myself "maybe - just maybe - I can get Jack to go to bed right after Brady". It was a long shot but what was the worst that could happen? Him keep me up for the rest of the night? Ha, been there done that. So after I went through the routine with Brady - bath, teeth, story time, lullaby, prayers - I decided to give it a shot. I took him into the bedroom and changed his diaper. I turned all the lights out and let him nurse for 30 minutes. He was still awake but I decided to put the plan into full effect. I swaddled him and laid him down in his bed. I tried to avoid eye contact at all costs because we all know it is over from that point on. He tried to wiggle out of the swaddle and he fussed, not even a cry, just a fuss, for less than 5 minutes. I expected at least a full blown scream for 10 minutes.... whimp. I checked on him just a few minutes later and the little bugger was asleep! Praise the sleep gods for finally listening to my begging and pleading!!

Of course I couldn't go to sleep - there was too much to do! I kept putting off going to bed because I figured he would wake up like usual. I finally went to bed thinking I would be woken up shortly because of my childs 'grown man appetite', especially during the night time hours. Can you imagine my shock when I woke up to SUNLIGHT?!?!?! He did it!! He slept from 8:30 pm - 7 am. I am still in disbelief. I hope we can keep this up - I will be one happy, well rested momma.

I am starting to think that we are usually just missing the sleep window. He is a baby, he does need sleep and by the time I get him to bed he is just overly tired and cranky. I am going to make this a nightly routine and hope it works out for the both of us!

One Bright Eyed & Bushy Tailed Momma -
Heather

2 comments:

Testy Testy Test said...

Go Jack!

Eric always says, "I slept like a baby last night- up every 2 hours crying." How true that is.

TheFeministBreeder said...

Yayy Jack!

When Jonas was 9 months, we figured out that he refused to sleep because we weren't putting him down early enough. So, with Jules, we started the "bedtime routine" when he was 7 weeks old. Totally worked for STTN, until - UNTILLLLLL I went back to work. DAMMIT! Now he still sleeps from about 7:30 pm to 1 or 2 am, but after that he wants to eat every couple hours because he knows he won't get to nurse all day long. He'll probably be up eating every two hours until he goes to college - or until I quit my job.... ugghghggh.